Our next Taiji Shibashi Instructor Course (online) – Autumn 2021.
Bookings for this course have closed.
The next course will be in Spring 2022. Please use the Contact Us page if you wish to be kept updated regarding the dates, etc. Those on the reserve list will also be given the option of booking in advance of the booking page being opened.
Congratulations to everyone (Agnes, Kate, Lisabetta, Victoria and Roger) who completed the course and passed the assessment, I am sure that you will all be amazing teachers. This was the first time that the Shibashi Instructor course had been done entirely online and it has been an incredible success. I will be adding the participant’s feedback as I receive it.
Now that the assessment is over, our next course has already started to fill quickly. It will also be online so you can join us from anywhere in the world.
Not everyone does this course in order to become a teacher. Many just want to explore these Qigong at a deeper level and experience the Shibashi as #trueqigong and discovered that this is the course they had been looking for.
Numbers are limited so get booked early !
The layout is:-
- Fifteen two-hour lessons (via Zoom) on Monday evenings. Commencing on August 23rd 2021
- The lessons will be recorded and students will have access to these via Pro-Holistic.
- Course notes will be provided electronically.
- The, practical, assessment will be online with lessons 13, 14 & 15 making up the assessment.
- August 23rd & 30th
- September 13th, 20th & 27th (N.B. there will not be a lesson on the 7th)
- October 4th, 11th, 18th & 25th
- November 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd & 29th
- December 6th
Participant requirements: –
- Access to broadband that is capable of streaming video.
- A webcam and microphone, where the camera can see the entire body from top to toe.
- Enough space to do the exercises.
- If you cannot fulfill these requirements please do not book on the course.
The Taiji Qigong Shibashi Instructor course is designed to provide a profound, experiential, knowledge of the Shibashi as well as all the tools and information needed to teach these exercises as true Qigong (Certificated by the San Bao Taiji & Qigong School). Anyone can mimic the movements of these exercises but without knowledge and experience of the Internal workings they are no more than slow aerobics.
Although this is an instructor course, about half of the people who have joined us have done so in order to deepen their understanding of Qigong, to tangibly experience the inner workings of Qigong and to begin their Qigong journey in earnest. You do not need to be, or want to be, a teacher to enrol on this course.
As most of the “qigong” being taught now is no more than physical movement it increasingly difficult to find genuine tuition. This spread of purely physical qigong has prompted many masters to stop using the term and revert to the older names of Dao Yin and Neigong. What you call these methods is of little importance as long as you are truly working with Qi. That’s what we do……………
The Eighteen Posture Taiji Qigong, also referred to as the Shibashi, is a set of Qigong exercises that utilise Taiji stances and adhere to the rules governing them. These stances are fundamentally important if the practitioner wishes to get the most out of the Qigong.
Since this set of exercises was introduced, in the early 1980’s, in many cases the adherence to the Taiji fundamentals has been lost and their true use as Qigong has been watered down to the point where they are merely slow aerobics. This has led to the depletion of the true beneficial qualities of these exercises. The Yi guides the Qi through focus (Jing) and it is only when this happens that “slow aerobics” become Qigong. Yes the Qi will still move with the watered down versions but Qi moves whatever exercise you do………….. However, this does not make every exercise a Qigong exercise.
A Completion Certificate, from San Bao Martial Arts, will be awarded to participants who successfully complete the course.
Feedback from previous Shibashi Instructor Courses
- Did the workshop meet your expectations? – 100% Yes.
- Did the workshop cover the syllabus? – 100% Yes.
- Were the methods taught useful? – 100% Yes.
- Would you recommend this workshop? – 100% Yes.
Did you discover any new insights regarding Qigong?
- “I have found that the information from the course is going to enhance my therapies from the perspective of movement of energy. Also, although it is a massive subject I realised that it is accessible to all, thanks to Des. It makes me eager to find out more. “
- “Yes, very interesting working with energy movement rather than physical movement.”
- “My own energy.”
- “Yes. The reasoning, the stance.”
- “Importance of the stance.”
- “Yes. Internal exercises. Linking the exercises.”
- “I discovered that qigong was more powerful than I had ever imagined.”
- “……………… just wanted to thank you for a wonderful weekend. It was brilliant, I really enjoyed it. I gained much more than I expected to. Thanks for opening my eyes.”
- “I would like to say a massive thank you to Des for passing on his great depth of knowledge in a very accessible way. The videos available to students have been a great bonus and the amount of information on the site reflects Des’ experience. I feel honoured to have had an introduction to such an extensive discipline from someone with such a great reputation all done in a very generous but humble way. “
- “Really interesting weekend – it has inspired me to continue on my path for which I thank you so much.”
- “I am so glad that I made the decision to attend a truly inspirational workshop and to have benefited from an introduction to the amazing powers of QiGong. I am aware that we only experienced an ‘insight’ but even so I consider that I am now in a better position to pass on quality teaching to my students, and having been an FE Lecturer for many years, I believe delivering quality is of paramount importance.
I also thank you (and your wife) for your hospitality in providing delicious lunches and snacks – greatly appreciated!”
- “I liked Des’ style of teaching, very relaxed but with a huge knowledge base which he was prepared to share with us.”
- “Attending this Workshop was a very motivational experience; an exercise of discovery providing a brief insight into the amazing power of QiGong. I would recommend this inspirational workshop to all who have an interest in QiGong”
- “Thanks des. Really exceeded expectations. Will take time to assimilate the information properly before introducing to my classes.”
- “Just thought I should send you a wee message to let you know how much doing the Qigong instructors course has helped me personally. I had just started 4th year at Uni when I came on the course. Uni has been horrendous and a few times it has been bad enough to make me consider leaving but doing Qigong has been a life saver. It has got me through some very tough times.
Big thank you to you for teaching me this beautiful art. Qigong had definitely came into my life at the right time.”
- “An excellent weekend and I learned so much more about myself that can be brought into my classes, I now feel more confident that I can deliver qigong more effectively to my students and also enjoy the benefits for myself, thank you so much.”
- “Learning about Chi and feeling the Chi was an experience.”
- “Really enjoyed the course, very interesting. Taught at a good pace to let all the info sink in, good to have the notes away to refer back to, and the website for continues support.
- “Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.”
- “Thank you Des. Really enjoyed the workshop and your style of teaching the group.”
- “Excellent instructor, easily understood, good analysis, some helpful tips and suggestions. Thank you.”
- “Really interesting course. Made me want to learn more about he background and how move have different effects on the various parts of the body.”
- “Felt better about the postures and learning to be aware about the postures.”
- “This has been a truly wonderful course.”
- “A brilliant training course.”
- “Looking forward to seeing you and doing the course in November, one of my colleagues in BHQA was with you earlier this year and recommended it to me, to quote her words ‘it was superb’….”
Post Course Feedback
- “I have some interesting news with regard to Shibashi. In the course of providing therapies I came across several clients that had experienced vertigo travel sickness and labyrinth syndrome. Due to [the fact] they all had movement issues and relaxation and peace was difficult to find, my instincts turned to the Shibashi. To start with we only worked on the movements seated. This had amazing results three individuals found that the dizziness, sickness and motion feeling eased after Shibashi. I am waiting on follow ups with this as there is a support group for these conditions where there is little medically to help other than very invasive treatment.”
The Shibashi Qigong Instructor course is suitable for anyone who wishes to learn the Internal workings of these exercises. For those who intend to teach, it is beneficial if you have already gained experience in working with Qi, including: –
- Taiji teachers/practitioners
- Qigong teachers/practitioners
- Reiki teachers/practitioners
- Shiatsu teachers/practitioners
- All Energy Work practitioners
The course instructor, Des Lawton MFHT is a Taiji and Qigong teacher who has been a practicing martial artist for over 40 years, with 35 years focused on Taiji and Qigong . He qualified, in 1997 as a Shiatsu Therapist (becoming a Member of the Register Of the Shiatsu Society) and practitioner of Healing Qigong. Des has been teaching the Taiji Shibashi Qigong since 1989. Through daily practice, and with the in depth knowledge of the meridian system and Five Element Theory that he attained while studying Shiatsu and Healing Qigong, Des has achieved a profound understanding of the Taiji Shibashi.
Interested in Qigong? Why not join the San Bao Qigong community on Facebook. We are a group of friendly practitioners who are keen to share their experience! Click here to request to join – sanbaoschool.co.uk/community
Next Shibashi Instructor course: –
Autumn 2021 dates: Commences 23rd August 2021
Times: 19:00 – 21:00 (London)
A deposit of £130.00 is required, with the balance to be paid on or before 26/07/2021.
Bookings made before 05/07/2021 get free access to our online Shibashi Course (Udemy).
Bookings made after 24/07/2021 must be paid in full.
Advanced booking is essential.
Guidelines: Can be viewed here
Terms & Conditions: Can be viewed here
Please fill out our course application form prior to booking as this helps us understand your qigong experience prior to the commencement of the course. On completion, you will be forwarded to our booking page.
For further information about the Shibashi Instructor course, please use the form on the Contact Us page.